I have been working pretty hard on helping the Urban Terror team when I can, as well as working on my own stuff. I bounce back and forth on Hand & Foot and Urban Terror when I have something to do. Right now it’s mostly Urban Terror, and more specifically making assets. I have a mountain of tasks for Crenshaw. I would say that in the end I will have made 400+ unique props for it.
I have done the heavy lifting of organizing production on Crenshaw. I started off with the basics. I got the last beta from 2006, exported the raw geometric data, and cleaned it up in Maya3d. This work was very tedious, and not at all exciting, that I can assure you.
Sadly this wasn’t the latest and greatest source I had from 2007. Most of the shots on urbanterror.info from back when I started the rework are of the stuff I did in late 2006 and early 2007. But sadly, all that work was lost forever in a hard drive crash and subsequent computer failure In 2007. I am not saying I am blaming it solely on Dell Computers, but I am. Before I started the this remake of Crenshaw in 2005, I bought a Dell Dimension 3000 with all upgraded hardware to mimic the machine I had while working at The Collective. This machine was solely bought to remake Crenshaw.
I only had that machine for two years, and after it died I put it in storage, and I would deal with it later. When I pulled it out of storage, I got the bad news, I lost all the work I had. So, Crenshaw was put on indefinite hold since the new game company I was working for forbid me from working on outside games. I replaced the bad parts and gave the Dell to my mother when she moved from Pomona to Phoenix. Sadly, it didn’t last long for her either, as it died in less then a year. That was my very last Dell computer, and PC, for a long time as I made the switch back to Apple, and bought a 24 inch iMac in 2008, then I bought a Macbook Pro in 2010 for our mobile development studio. So, now that I have proven I am the backup poster child, back to remake 2.
I had to create the Crenshaw base level in Unreal 4, and get it ready for importing the mountain of geometry I will be adding in over the course of production. I also had to setup all the software I was going to need. This went smoothly, for the most part, even on the machine I have now.
The first thing I did was make one prop to get myself immersed in the process and asset pipeline for Unreal 4. I did this by taking one prop and making it from scratch through the entire process. This was the utility pole from an earlier posting, and on my blog post on the Urban Terror main page.
After that I was a man on a mission. I went headlong on cleaning up and reworking one of the buildings from Crenshaw.
It was a lot of fun, and It was good for me to have something simple to start off on. Then after it was all cleaned up, I moved on to other buildings. So as not to burn out, I would work on random props along the way as I saw a need for them. For example, I needed doors for the buildings, so I reworked that, and I also reworked the fire hydrant next to the utility pole on the street in the blue spawn.
Rendering out these images to share work in progress with the team was becoming quite a pain. So someone pointed me to sketchfab. Its an online 3d viewer where you can post your assets and people can inspect them. I found it quite useful, so I posted a few props that I had in the works, this time with PBR materials which is much easier then trying to do it in Maya, then export and change them for Unreal 4.